July 4th marked an important holiday in the U.S. and is now also the official opening day of our Fauske & Associates (FAI) - The Netherlands location, our newest engineering and testing Thermal Hazards Laboratory located in Geleen, the Netherlands.
"We are pleased to further meet the direct needs of many of our European customers," states Fauske & Associates, LLC President Kris Fauske. "The need for an on-site laboratory presence was growing, in particular, for thermal hazards. FAI’s thermal hazards group uses many tools with extensive expertise to understand and eliminate undesired reactions, accommodate process upset scenarios and design a client’s desired process chemistry."
Thermal stability testing aims to collect reaction rate data to assess whether a specified quantity of a material can be safely used while avoiding runaway reactions. This data is important when considering processing, long-term storage or shipping of a material. Among the many tests and services we provide are determining critical safety parameters to avoid undesired reactions. FAI performs heat flow and adiabatic calorimetry using:
•Vent Sizing Package 2 (VSP2TM)
• Advanced Reactive Systems Screening Tool (ARSSTTM)
• Thermal Activity Monitor (TAM)
• Seteram C80
• Accelerating Rate Calorimeter (ARC®)
• Differential Scanning Calorimeter (DSC)
• Thermal Gravimetric Analysis (TGA)
To determine required cooling capacity, understand process changes and scale-up implications, FAI performs reaction calorimetry using:
• THT- RC
• Mettler-Toledo RC1
• ChemiSens CPA 202
To classify materials for transportation, FAI performs the following UN Transport tests:
• Class 4, Division 4.1 Flammable Solids
• Class 4, Division 4.2 Substances Liable to Spontaneous Combustion
• Class 4, Division 4.3 Dangerous When Wet
• Class 4, Division 5.1 Oxidizing Solids
Manager of Process Safety Services Niemann and Márton Harsányi, both Chemical Engineers, will lead the Netherlands location, bringing many years of Process Safety Analyses, SHE-consultancy and HAZOP expertise to the region. They will report to Kenneth Kurko, Director of Process Safety Services. In addition to managing process safety laboratories, lecturing and training (ExELect Experimental Explosion Lecture), customer data and reporting, the pair also have experience:
• Determining reaction heat measurement with characterization of heat and gas generation properties by reaction calorimeter and PAT (RC1 + ReactIR, CALO 2310pro)
• Determining thermal stability and reaction kinetics for reaction mixtures and synthesis intermediates by adiabatic calorimeters (ARSST, VSP2, PHI TEC II), thermoanalytical equipments (DSC, HPDSC, TGA) and reaction kinetics simulation software (AKTS)
• Providing process safety classification of chemical processes and compounds
• Participating in compilation of Safety and Hazard Risk Evaluation and HAZOP studiesSelecting and optimizing pharmaceutical processes intended for scale up and technological transfer to pilot plants in collaboration with API synthetic laboratories, API development laboratories and analytical department
• Providing technological scale up and related optimization in pilot plant in cooperation with development laboratory, analytical department and process safety laboratory; control of plant activities
States Fauske, "FAI has developed key instruments and engineering methods for solving process safety problems. As a world leader in nuclear, industrial and chemical solutions, we felt it important to go beyond our on-site consulting services for our European customers and create a local presence for the lab work."
FAI the Netherlands location is a branch of WEC UK Limited.
Fauske & Associates, LLC (FAI) is a world leader in nuclear, industrial and chemical process safety. Founded in 1980 by Hans Fauske, D.Sc., Michael Grolmes, Ph.D. and Dr. Robert Henry, Ph.D., FAI became a wholly owned subsidiary of Westinghouse Electric Company, LLC, in 1986. FAI assumed early leadership roles in the acclaimed DIERS program for AIChE and the IDCOR program for the nuclear power industries. These activities led to state-of-the-art methodology and laboratory tools for characterizing chemical systems and computer models for analyzing severe accidents in commercial nuclear power plants used worldwide. Recognized worldwide for phenomenological modeling related to the prevention and accommodation of chemical and nuclear power accidents, FAI also provides advanced training and research in physics, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, nuclear engineering, computer science and other fields.
The FAI quality program includes NQA-1 conformance for Nuclear Safety Related projects, ISO-9001/TickIT certifications for Computer Software development, and several ISO-17025 certifications. FAI is an Authorized Provider of IACET Continuing Education Units (CEUs).
FAI is also recognized for conducting comprehensive plant evaluations. FAI’s Nuclear Systems Group helps its customers enhance the availability and reliability of their operating plants while maintaining regulatory compliance, extending plant life and reducing operation and maintenance costs. With regard to industrial safety, FAI is a leader in the growing dust explosivity/combustibility and process safety areas. In addition to parts and laboratory testing, on-site consulting services are a key customer request for FAI.