FAI offers comprehensive services for characterizing, preventing and mitigating fires and explosions due to combustible dust.
- Develop a cost effective test strategy to characterize material handled at a food manufacturing facility
- Perform dust explosion testing to determine moisture content, particle size, explosion severity, sensitivity to ignition and minimum explosion concentration
- Conduct an on-site dust hazard assessment based on applicable National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards.
- Facilitate a process hazard analysis (PHA) to address fire and explosion hazards for their facility with a focus on combustible dust hazards.
- Prioritize high risk scenarios and worked with the customer to develop appropriate and cost effective protection strategies.
Safety Program Improvement
- Recommend improvements to existing programs for housekeeping, electrical area classification, management of change (MOC), preventative maintenance and training.
NFPA's Derek Duval talks about dust explosion mitigation in NFPA 61 and NFPA 654
US Department of Labor's OSHA cites Gilster-Mary Lee Corp. in Steeleville, Ill., after combustible dust explosion seriously burns 2 maintenance workers