- Understand and address hazards that pose the highest level of risk to your process facility
- Ensure compliance with relevant national, local and industry standards
- Implement best engineering practices
- Reduce overall level of risk
- Increase productivity and employee morale
- Make organization more competitive
- Decrease insurance premiums
Combustible Dust Explosion and Fire Hazard Evaluation
FAI experts provide onsite Combustible Dust Hazard Assessments (DHAs), Process Hazard Analyses (PHAs), OSHA Combustible Dust NEP compliance support, training and other services related to characterizing, preventing and mitigating combustible dust explosion and fire hazards. An onsite assessment provides an experienced engineer to visit a facility, evaluate its compliance with relevant national, local and industry standards and provide recommendations for risk reduction. Additional services include deflagration vent sizing calculations, desktop reviews, equipment selection guidance, training of personnel on combustible dust hazards as well as development of process safety programs to address these issues. Click here for more on Combustible Dust
Process Hazard Analysis (PHA)
A PHA is a systematic evaluation of the hazards involved in the process. PHAs are required for initiation of a process and at least once every five years after that. It is important to address normal operating conditions as well as start-up, normal shut down and emergency shutdown procedures during the PHA. The PHA team should be multi-disciplinary, including operations, engineering and maintenance. To properly conduct a PHA, the process safety information (PSI) must be as complete as possible. FAI can provide PHA services including PHA auditing / review, revalidating PHAs and facilitating.
FAI has performed PHAs for compliance to OSHA PSM requirements as well as combustible dust related PHAs for compliance per national National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) guidelines: NFPA 654, NFPA 664 and NFPA 484.
FAI provides a full range of PHA services, using a variety of techniques including, hazard and operability (HAZOP) analysis, what-if, checklists, failure modes and effects analysis (FMEA) as well as quantitative risk assessments such as layer of protection analysis (LOPA).
Hazard Identification & Risk Analysis
FAI offers consulting services to identify hazards related to the handling or storage of flammable and combustible liquids and gases, combustible dust and reactive chemicals. Extensive testing experience allows our team to identify potentailly hazardous conditions that may not be readily discernable.
FAI experts can evaluate the effect of various process upset scenarios including fire and explosions, vessel overpressure scenarios, chemical reactivity concerns, vapor cloud dispersions and chemical releases. Computer models are used in conjunction with appropriate data to determine the effects. The benefit or risk reduction of safeguards or mitigation strategies can also be evaluated.
Fire Protection Engineering
Provides life safety and fire protection consulting, engineering, and design services to architects, owners and developers, construction teams and facility operators. Helps clients to understand and achieve essential life safety goals like complying with codes, meeting egress requirements, choosing sustainable fire protection systems, analyzing hazards, and preparing for and responding to emergencies. Risk mitigation; help to lower design, construction, and operating budgets; and ensure enhanced safety for end users.
- Building and fire code consulting
- Means of egress evaluation
- Plan review
- Commissioning and construction management services
- Fire modeling
- Explosion modeling
- Dispersion modeling
- Quantitative risk analysis
Safer Process Scale-up
FAI offers services for safer scale-up of batch, semi-batch and continuous processes. Consultation is available for process development groups involved in the scale-up of chemical processes throughout the development cycle. Areas of expertise include the following topics.
- Onsite or desktop review
- Determine critical process parameters to avoid or mitigate unwanted reactivity
- Development of customized scale-up program designed for safer operation at various stages
- Perform calorimetry testing to characterize desired and undesired reactions
- Identify safe operating limits for temperature, pressure and other safety-critical parameters
- Emergency relief design calculations for pilot plant, kilo lab and commercial scale equipment
- Independent safety assessment
Process Safety Management (PSM) Program Development and Support
FAI can review or develop process safety programs to support chemical manufacturing facilities or development programs. This can be performed for facilities including a kilo lab, pilot plant, medium scale and commercial scale plants. Services include:
- Auditing, reporting and presenting
- Gap assessment to identify and prioritize needs
- Process validation
- Safe scale-up guidance
- Development report documentation
- Consulting on process safety issues for change control (management of change)
Relief System Design Review
Dr. Hans K. Fauske served as the principal investigator and leader of the Design Institute of Emergency Relief Systems (DIERS) research project team. The team of subject matter experts at FAI continues to participate in the DIERS users group and contribute to developments in relief system design technology. Years of testing experience provides FAI the unique capability to consult on this topic with proficiency.
- Third party review of existing relief system design
- Provide cost-effective solutions if existing relief system design is not adequate
- Ensure current design basis is appropriate and credible
- Develop / review pressure relief guidelines
- Specialists in effluent control for two-phase flow systems
Our team is happy to help train your staff in the understanding of technical issues, process safety programs or audits, regulations and more. We perform process safety audits as part of a comprehensive hazards analysis and can work with you to make sure your staff is supplied with skills training needs in many ways including:
Level I - Gap Analysis
Level II - training & consulting
Level III - Program Development and Implementation
Partial List of Services Offered:
• Reviews and upgrades of all your safety process systems and regulatory requirements
• VPP Consulting
• Audits, reviews, and upgrades of all your Operating, Safety, and Maintenance Procedures
• Training program evaluations for both completeness and effectiveness (from technical skills to professional development) and upgrades where
• Reviews and upgrades of your program elements such as Employee Participation and Process Safety Information for effectiveness and completeness
• Work process effectiveness evaluations and upgrades
• Overall organizational development (e.g., motivation, work processes)
• Stress reduction
• Evaluations of the effectiveness of communication
We design, custom develop and deliver any site specific training materials needed by your organization. Our Consultants, Engineers and Technical Specialists are available to deliver the classroom, lab or on-the-job training your staff needs. In addition, we will assist with the identification and procurement of commercially available training materials where available.